How to prepare
Preparations will vary depending on the kind of exam you are having performed:
For any ultrasound please plan on arriving 15 minutes prior to your appointment for patient registration.
- Abdominal Ultrasound
- Nothing to eat or drink after midnight (or at least six hours prior to the exam).
- Medications may be taken with a small amount of water
- Abdomen and Pelvic Ultrasound (scheduled together)
- Nothing to eat at least six (6) hours prior to exam.
- Drink 32 ounces of clear fluid one hour prior to your exam.
- Please do not empty your bladder.
- OB (Pregnancy) or Pelvic Ultrasound
- Drink 32 ounces of clear fluid one (1) hour prior to your exam. Please do not empty your bladder as a full bladder is necessary for the exam
- OB (Pregnancy) Ultrasound-2nd Trimester Only
- Drink 24 ounces of clear fluid one (1) hour prior to your exam. Please do not empty your bladder as a full bladder is necessary for the exam.
- Renal (kidney) Ultrasound
- Drink 16 ounces of clear fluid prior to your exam. A full bladder is helpful, so if possible, please refrain from emptying your bladder.
The following ultrasound exams do not require any preparation:
- Venous Doppler (DVT)